Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) has been according a high importance to sports since its inception. Even though it is not a sports institution, all ultramodern sports facility and training, at par with any national level sports hostel or sports training centre, are provided here. As a result the institute has been able to produce many national and international level sportspersons. They are bringing glory to their institution, community, state and country.
KISS girl Sumitra Nayak played a pivotal role in Indian women’s historic first test win in the 15s format in Asia Women’s Div-1 Rugby 15-s Championship 2019. Earlier, students of KISS have scored hat-trick in Rugby, winning Rugby World Cup three times – U-14 Boys Rugby World Cup, 2007 in London; U-13 Boys International Rugby Tournament 2011 in Manchester and U-13 Girls International Rugby Championship, 2014 in London.
Sports persons Produced by KISS
International KHO-KHO Player
•Represented Odisha in National Games 2015 held in Kerala.
•First Odia in India Women Kho-Kho team that won the gold medal in 12th South Asian Game at Guwahati, Assam in 2016.
International Athlete (Events: 100 Mt Hurdles, Pentathlon and Heptathlon) Qualified for Asian Games 2018.
Biju Patnaik Sportsperson of the Year in 2015
Bronze Medal in Heptathlon at the 2017 Asian Athletics Championships
Gold Medal in 100m at the 57th National Senior Inter-State Athletic Championships, 2017
Gold Medal in Pentathlon at the 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games 2017, Turkmenistan
International Athlete (Events: 400 Mt, 400 Mt Hurdles, 4 X 100 Mt Relay and 4 X 400 Mt Relay) Qualified for Asian Games 2018.
Gold Medal in 400m hurdles at the 2016 South Asian Games
Gold Medal in the 4 x 400m relay at the 2016 South Asian Games
Gold Medal in 400 metre hurdles event at 3rd Asian All Star Athletics Meet, 2010 th
Two gold (400 x 400 ) and one Bronze medal in 400 mtr run in 57 National Open Athletics Championship 2017
International Rugby Player
• Got Gold Medal in U-13 Rugby World Cup held in London in 2014.
• India got Silver Medal in Asia Rugby Sevens Trophy 2019 held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
• India got Bronze Medal in the Captainship of Ms Sumitra Nayak Asia Rugby Sevens (U-20 Girls) Championship-2019 held in Vientiane, Laos.
• Participated in the TEDX Talk at Pune on 26th of November-2016.
• Nominated for International Children’s Peace Prize-2017. Nitya Majhi, International Judo Player • First Odia got Bronze Medal in Commonwealth Judo Championship-2019 held Birmingham, UK.
International Football Player
• Represented India in Asian U-14 Girls Football Championship-2015 in Kathamandu, Nepal
• Represented India in IIFC U-16 Football Championship- 2016 in Yipin, China. Geeta Bhuyan, International Baseball Player
• Represented India in Women Baseball World Cup -2016 held in Gijang, South Korea and got best Third Base Fielder Award.
• Represented India in 1st Women Baseball Asian Cup-2017 held in Hong Kong.
• Represented India in 2nd Asia Women’s Baseball Cup-2019 held in Zhongshan, China.
• Represented India in World Youth Archery Championship held from 11th to 20th August, 2013 in Wuxi, China.
• Represented India in 2nd Asian Grand Prix held from 16th to 20th October, 2014 in Taipei (Chinese Taipei) and got Silver Medal for India.
• Represented India in World cup stage-I Archery Championship, held from 3rd to 11th May, 2015 in China.
• Represented India in World cup stage-II Archery Championship, held from 24th May to 1st June, 2015 in Turkey.
• He has been identified as a potential medal winner in Olympic Games and included in Khelo India Scheme for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India.