Celebrating Five Glorious Years of KISS-DU
KISS Deemed to be University (KISS-DU) completes a glorious five years of existence. It is a remarkable feat for this one-of-a-kind institute that has been conceptualised to provide higher education exclusively to tribal students. Along the way, KISS-DU has recorded some significant milestones and achievements that have helped it reach where it is today. On 15 September, 2017, Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated KISS-DU for being granted the University status, marking the beginning of a successful journey for the institute.
The account of five major milestones, among the list of many are –
- To enhance the education experience, KISS-DU inducted 23 distinguished academicians as Emeritus Professors who will guide students and mentors in innovative research.
- Similarly, 14 Professors of Practice who have no formal training were roped in to teach various aspects of tribal languages, songs and dances, shawl weaving, herbal medicine and therapeutics, storytelling as part of Anthropology, Language Teaching, Tribal Literature and Indigenous Technology. This step was consciously taken to provide experiential knowledge and ensure students remain in touch with their roots.
- The University has also instituted seven research chairs to honour seven illustrious personalities of Odisha. The students receive in-depth learning on the life and works of Odisha’s great luminaries.
- Moreover, to preserve the tribal culture of students, KISS-DU proudly runs seven tribal-centric schools at its campus. There is a committee for protection, promotion and preservation of Tribal Culture, Heritage and Diversity. KISS-DU has also signed more than 30 MoU’s with Indian and Overseas Universities and institutions for academic and industry collaboration.
- KISS-DU has set up an innovation council named with seven innovative research centres under it on areas like Indigenous Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Sacred Groves, Indigenous Cultural Heritage and Diversity, Indigenous Science and Technology, Indigenous Knowledge on Herbal Medicines and Therapeutics, Indigenous Languages and Narratives and Study of Indigenous Peoples across the Globe. The focus has always been to make students feel closer to home and make education relevant and fun.
The University has made a name for itself in a short span of five years and is on the right path, completed two convocations, having already produced three Ph.D. scholars. With the leadership of its visionary founder Dr Achyuta Samanta, and the guidance of a well-rounded team of academicians and professors, KISS-DU is expected to scale great heights in the years to come.