- KISS is the largest fully free, fully residential institute for tribals (indigenous) in the world.
- It is the only institute that provides free education from Kindergarten to Postgraduate to 25,000 underprivileged children. Students belonging to 62 different tribes including 13 primitive tribes study here. The institute provides state-of-the-art facility and pedagogy.
- As a social enterprise KISS is unique; because through efforts of a single individual – its Founder, Achyuta Samanta – 25,000 underprivileged tribal children are being helped to join society's mainstream. The institution plans to help 2,00,000 such children to join society's mainstream within a decade.
- It lays emphasis on all round development of the tribal students. Along with education and vocational training, personality development, sports, preservation of tribal culture and heritage, etc. are taken care of.
- The institute has 1.5 million square feet of built up area, spread over 80 acres of land. It has a well stacked library on 15,000 sq. ft. building, having 20,000 titles on various subjects.
- Dining-cum-Multipurpose Hall of KISS has a capacity for 10,000 people.
- It provides computer training for all students in two in-house state-of-the-art computer labs having seating capacity for 600 students.
- KISS focuses on girls' education. Girls constitute about 50% of the total students' strength.
- It has a large number of first generation learners from various Primitive Tribal Groups (PTG).
- It promotes students to become self-sufficient and change agents. The institute provides compulsory Vocational Training in over 50 trades from Std. VII onwards. Leadership and entrepreneurial skills through soft skill training are provided.
- 'EARN WHILE YOU LEARN': KISS provides free formal education and vocational training to tribal children in a residential setting. As a result, along with educational qualification, the students acquire skills of at least one vocational trade of their choice. During their training in Vocational Training Unit of KISS, each student manages to earn about Rs. 1000/- through sale of products in the open market. This earning is sent back to their respective families living in remote villages for their livelihood.
- Vocational training in the areas of Dairy, Poultry and Agro Products not only imparts necessary skills to the students, but also provides nutritious food for the students.
Zero drop-out rate, Prevention of child marriages and enhanced socio-political awareness are key impacts of KISS.
- The institute has implemented 'Green Initiatives' like plantation, solar energy and waste water management system.
- It is the only institute where after passing Std. 12, as many as 1,500 students are provided free professional education in KIIT University, a sister organization of KISS. Students pursue a course of their choice from among various programmes offered by KIIT like in Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Dental Sciences/Surgery, Nursing, Engineering, Masters in Computer Application (MCA), Bachelors/Masters Degrees in Law, Management (MBA), Diploma in engineering, etc.
- Whoever joins KISS leaves with higher/professional education along with a job in hand.
- KISS fulfils Right to Education Act in true spirit. It also contributes actively to India Vision 2020.
- KISS's activities are in consonance with the Millennium Development Goals of the United Nations, which aim at eradicating extreme poverty and hunger; achieving universal primary education; promoting gender equality and empowering women and reducing child mortality, among other things. Efforts of the institute are also in harmony with The Charter of the United Nations.
- KISS has tie-ups with several agencies of the United Nations.
- KISS encourages participation in international events like Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and international exposure visit. KISS students have visited more than 15 countries.
- It has 100 bedded in-house medical facility, supported by Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), a constituent of KIIT. Students also have free access to 1200 bedded super specialty hospital of KIMS as per need.
- KISS is a Wi-Fi campus with Security system with Close Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras all around the campus.
- KISS is running with the money generated through the sale of products made in Vocational Training Units, and donations from staff, students and management of KIIT Group of Institutions and KIIT University.